Hraničná 2, PO Box 51, 82799 Bratislava, Slovakia
The Institute of Drug Dependencies (IDD) is a part the organizational structure of the
Center for Treatment of Drug Dependencies (CTDD).
It was established by the Ministry of Health on the 1st January 1998. IDD has the following principal objectives:
The research is mostly oriented towards clinical and public health issues, which are related to drug use. The following are the research projects, which are conducted at IDD:
- Long- term follow-up study of the life careers of people addicted to heroin;
- Evalution study of the Methadone Maintenance Program in Slovakia
- Long-term follow-up study of the people addicted to alcohol
- Study of the out-come of hepatitis B vaccination among iv.drug users
- Study of behavior modeling among the drug using population with respect to the reduction of the spread of blood-borne infections
Training is oriented towards developing and enhancing some theoretical but mostly
practical knowledge and skills of the people who are working in the field of drug demand
It is provided to health professionals, doctors, nurses, psychologists, social workers, students and others with motivation for this kind of work. We conduct one day seminars and workshops and we are also preparing longer courses with certification for drug counselors. There are several slots for trainees who wish to gain a deeper insight into the programs of IDD and CTTD institutions.
The main topics for training are:
- drug counselling
- treatment programs for patients with alcohol and drug addiction
- harm reduction approaches (MMT, NEP, education, vaccination)
- social work in the field of drug addiction
- The editing and publishing of the bulletin “Nezavislosť” (“Independence”) for our clients
- Creating and updating our home-page on the Internet
We are developing bilateral contacts with public institutions as well as with NGOs in Europe and overseas.